Home

Monday, February 7, 2011

Now Tell Me....



How will I finish this quest while I am on a healthy kick?

I have been avoiding leaning towards more healthy foods... so this PW cooking project has fallen off my cooking wagon...but not for long :)

My daughter bought Alicia Silverstone's cookbook, The Kind Diet and we've been using it more and more.

Once upon a time I was a vegetarian. Not a vegan, that wouldn't work for me. Actually...neither will a total veggie diet anymore. I like milk, eggs and occasionally...meat. So I guess that makes my diet The Mean Diet.

But! I do like to eat more veggies and grains...and beans. This book has some great recipes and is a wealth of info, answering lifelong questions like...What the heck is tempeh? or Mochi? How do you pronounce Quinoa? KEEN-Wah. Yes.

We've been eating tons of tofu. Tons. Tofu is food from the Gods if you know how to cook it.

We've also been drinking Kefir, which is like liquid yogurt but with lots of probiotics. The little girls in our family love it.

We make smoothies everyday here. One of my granddaughters is addicted to them. She likes to get on my computer to play games and MUST have a smoothie in hand while playing or her life crumbles around her. This one is our picky eater so I sneak in spinach leaves. Here's the recipe for her smoothie.

Princess Tiana's Secret Smoothie

To a blender add:
1/2 cup Plain Soy Milk
1/2 cup Strawberry Kefir
1/2 cup Frozen Mango
1/2 cup Frozen Strawberries
1/4 cup Frozen Bluberries
5 Large Spinach Leaves (she has NO idea I put these in)
6 Dark Chocolate Chips
1 Tbs Agave Syrup
A couple of Ice Cubes
Blend until smooth and serve to kid at computer before her head explodes.
(This is a very large smoothie so if your kid doesn't eat as much, you can halve the recipe) (add water or more soy milk if too thick)

The other Evil Twin likes her kefir cut with milk...


Dinosaur Peach Kefir

1/2 cup Peach Kefir
1/2 cup 1% milk
Blend with a spoon in favorite cup and serve on a silver platter with 6 dark chocolate chips on the side to avoid a melt down because her sister got them in her smoothie...plus you are paying her off because she caught you red handed putting spinach in her sister's smoothie.

No worries though...I will still finish my beloved Pioneer Woman's Cookbook...eventually :)

4 comments:

  1. yummmmm we love kefir too! I should try to one with spinach in it thats awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about her book - I used to be vegetarian & felt so much better. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lindy!

    Not wanting to sabotage any diet here, but don't forget to drop by my blog this weekend and enter the giveaway for two wonderful cookbooks! My special favorite of the two is Taste of Home's Complete Guide to Country Cooking!

    Blessings to you!
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren~ You can't taste the spinach at all with all that fruit!

    Rene~ I am really enjoying the fresh recipes!

    Dianne~ Thanks for the heads up! I want to win!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you were here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails