Home

Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Confessions- Mexican Pizzas

Nothing to confess today...I'm spending it with Madley.


This is a single layer Mex Pizza

I was searching food blogs for kid-friendly recipes when I came across this winner. My favorite fast food "run-for-the-border" restaurant serves something similar, but this recipe caught my eye because I like homemade food more than any fast food restaurant. Of course, now I can't remember where the blog is that shared the recipe. So... thank you unknown foodie! This is my version.

The girls were excited for this one. They helped 'spread and assemble' and ate half the olives before they made it to the pizzas.

I made homemade re-fried beans because I am a glutton for... well, I'm just a glutton I guess. I just think they are easy and they are low fat and smell wonderful cooking... but canned ones would be fine, I use canned sometimes.

We loved this...all of us. It's so much better than the real thing!

Mexican Pizza

Makes 10-12 pizzas


20-24 crisp tostada shells (figure two shells per pizza)
2 cans or 2 cups Re-fried beans, heated (they spread easier hot)
Taco sauce, heated (I made my own, recipe below)
Grated Mexican blend cheese or Grated Cheddar Cheese
Sliced olives, tomatoes, onions, avocados, jalepenos or whatever strikes your fancy.

Spread beans over tostada shells, spread sauce over beans and then sprinkle cheese on top. Lay another tostada shell over that one and spread more beans, sauce and cheese. Make as many as you're family needs.

Place under broiler (not too close) for 2-4 minutes until cheese melts, watching carefully so they don't burn.

Remove and add toppings as desired!

Taco Sauce

1- 8 oz. can Tomato Sauce
1 cup- your favorite Salsa
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Add all ingredients together in a small saucepan and just bring to boil, Stir, cover and turn down and simmer for 10 minutes.

(You could just use salsa and skip all of this)

Bueno!

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking this has a good chance of ending up on my table this weekend. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you were here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails